Site Feed

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Obsession - Alfred Kubin



This week, with the WIC, I went to see “L’Obsession a very strange art exhibition. On the occasion of the Austrian presidency of the European Union, this exhibition is now on show at the Brussels City Hall. Alfred Kubin, born in 1896 died 1959, was a major Austrian graphic artist and is known for his drawings of dreamlike and morbid subjects. I realise that he had a poor childhood but all his work is sombre, nightmarish with violent and pervert sexual subjects. He was obsessed by death although he lived a long peaceful life, successful and without too many monetary problems. He really hated women. In all his drawings they are depicted as witches, femmes dominatrices and provocatrices.

He was a big collector of drawings, lithographs and engravings of his time. At this show you can see part of his collection of artists like Honoré Daumier, James Ensor, Paul Goguin, Max Klinger, Edward Munch, Odilon Redon and Félicien Rops. All their works are as dark and brutal as his are.


Obsession is a wonderful title for this show because since I have been there, I also cannot stop thinking about it. At first I did not even like it but I bought the book and I kept reading it. A very nice book actually. And now in retrospect I realise what a special exhibition it was. It is on until the18 June. I recommend it.

6 Comments:

At 5:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

no more blogging ?

 
At 10:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Silvana,
I'm not sure if it us YOU Silvana... You lived in Geneva once up on a time. In the big beautiful house with the lovely garden overlooking the mountains. Is it you?
This is Pernilla, an old au pair from Sweden... I'll check in within a couple of days and see if it is you and if you remember me. I was only with you for a short period of time (a Canadian girl left).
Take care,
Pernilla

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey !

please look and make this blog known, because it could interest a lot of people :
http://thermochateaugontier.over-blog.com/
thank you

 
At 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

passo di qui per caso
saluti from Italy

 
At 1:47 PM, Anonymous baresytapas said...

I entered this site by chance, but I found very interesting. A greeting to all the people who visit this page.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Global Voices Online - The world is talking. Are you listening? Add to Google expatriate